Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever! Part 1

Firstly, I need to say sorry. I know I said I would talk about my latest cookbook purchase - The Bourke St Bakery cookbook and I will, I promise but not today. I have been distracted by an interesting recipe I found while surfing around just looking at other food blogs. Somehow I managed to come across this recipe for what is supposed to be the recipe for the best chocolate chip cookie ever. Now that's a big call I know but it certainly grabs your attention. The recipe was published in the NY Times by David Leite. While I was reading the story behind its creation what really got my attention was the fact you have to let the dough sit for 36 hours.

Yes I know - that's a long time to wait for something and would waiting that long really make much difference? There are lots of stories out there of people who have made it and how sensational they are. So it certainly got me thinking. I have used the same recipe for chocolate chip cookies for so long now I don't even remember where it came from. When I have a recipe that absolutely works every single time regardless of the effort or attention put in then I hand write it onto a recipe card and it gets filed away in my classic collection. This is not to say I haven' tried others, I have but they never measure up to the one I use every single week to make perfect cookies.



I digress! So I thought ok I have to give this a go and see what happens. So the recipe is pretty standard, except for the flours used which were Cake and Bread flours. Which I didn't have nor could I find so I just used plain flour and it says to use 60% cocoa disks which I also didn't have on hand so I just used the Cadbury chocolate chips I use nearly every time (sometimes I splash out and my local cafe sells me the Belgian chips they use in their hot chocolate - sensational!). Anyway you cream the butter and sugars, add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until light and fluffy. So far so good.


Then you add the dry ingredients and mix in the chocolate chips. Then you have to cover the dough with plastic wrap and it says make sure the wrap is touching the dough and leave for 36 hours in the refrigerator. And now we wait and count down the hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment